i worked until 4am drawing last night. so i felt kind of sluggy when i woke up this morning. i didn’t want to spend all day feeling like this so i cleaned the fridge. then i found a box of vegetable shortening sitting proudly at a corner of the fridge. it’s the leftover shortening from the nikuman that i made back in february. it’s recommend to be used within 12 months. the time is ticking off. i should use it soon. i also organized my tea cabinet and found some dried lavender buds for tea.
perfect. i made lavender cookies. usually i don’t use shortening but it’s probably okay once a while. it’s a very easy recipe. try this sometime and enjoy the aroma :)
- 1~2 tbsp lavender buds
- 2c all purpose flour
- 1 1/2tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1/3c vegetable shortening
- 3/4c sugar
- 1 egg
- 1tbsp milk
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- pre-heat oven to 350f
- stir together flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt. set aside.
- beat butter and shortening for 30 to 60 sec. add sugar and lavender buds. beat till fluffy. beat in egg, milk and vanilla. add the dry ingredients to the mixture. beat until well-combined.
- roll the dough in to a log and wrap it in plastic wrap. let it rest in the fridge for 20 ~ 30 mins.
- roll out the cooled dough and cut out a shape you like. bake for about 10 ~ 14 mins or until golden-brown. serve with hot tea.