i didn’t try to make one big cookie on purpose. it was an accident.
it wasn’t such a good idea to try to make cookies while taking care of the baby. i was having some people over so i thought it would be nice to have some home-made cookies. plus, now that i’m a mama, i should be able to make cookies canadian-style. chocolate chip cookies are the classic mama cookie, so i decided to try them first. it was supposed to be a three-step process:
- find a recipe
- get the ingredients
- make the cookies
my plan started pretty well. i found a recipe online. i took elijah to the supermarket and he gave me the okay to buy a bag of chocolate chips.
the next day, i decided to make the cookies. i fed elijah and put him down to sleep. i mixed the ingredients together, turned the oven on, and started forming the dough into cookies. from the bedroom, i heard elijah start to cry. i went and picked him up and brought him to the kitchen and put him in his chair. i gave him some toys to play with and went back to making the cookies, placing them on the cookie sheet. elijah started crying again, because his diaper was wet. off i went to change his diaper. then i realized he was hungry again, so i sat down to feed him a bit more…
quite a while later, i came back to the kitchen with elijah. the cookie dough was looking suspiciously mellow. i’d left the raw cookies on the cookie sheet on the warm stove top while the oven was preheated. i think they got a little bit cooked before i put them in the oven, and they were already spreading out and getting really soft. i didn’t really notice, i just put them in the oven.
i baked the cookies according to the recipe, but they came out really big and all stuck together. plus they were a little burned at the edges. at least the non-burned parts were tasty, even though we were eating ugly chunks of cookie. i didn’t serve my giant cookie to my guests — i gave them italian cookies that i’d bought at the supermarket.
plan B always works best.
recipe for a cookie disaster
- gather the ingredients
- start mixing them together
- make funny faces and play with the baby
- preheat the oven
- sing silly songs and play with the baby
- form the cookie dough and place onto the cookie sheet
- make funny noises and play with your baby
- leave the cookie sheet on the warm stove top
- change his diaper
- change his clothes (diaper accident)
- wash those clothes right away
- forget what you were doing fifteen minutes ago
- feed the baby
- burp the baby
- wipe the baby’s mouth after he spits up
- forget what you were doing thirty minutes ago
- try to put him back to sleep
- pick him up
- change his diaper again
- bring him back to the kitchen
- give him a toy and try to make him interested in it
- put the cookie sheet in the oven without noticing the cookies are already warm and melting
- bake the cookies
- take the cookie (only one giant cookie by now) out of the oven
- break off the burned parts and throw them out
- eat the leftover cookie chunks and save some for later
- open a package of italian cookies and place some on a plate
- voila! delicious italian cookies!